Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boxers or Briefs?

On Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 8:32 p.m., William Bradley Barron went pee pee in the potty.



I thought today would just be a typical day for William and me. I woke up and started putting away some laundry when all of a sudden William saw his Thomas underwear. "Mama, I want to wear my Thomas underwear today." Of course, I was shocked. But, I totally jumped at his curiosity and put the underwear on him. I explained that if he wanted to wear Thomas underwear than he had to keep Thomas dry. Thomas wouldn't want to be wet and if William felt like he needed to get Thomas wet, Mama would help him get to the potty. I also casually reminded him that if he went to the bathroom in his potty, he could go with Dada to Toys R Us and pick out a new airplane toy.



The first 30 minutes that William had the underwear on, he managed 4 accidents. We only have 4 pairs of Thomas underwear. So, we had to switch to wearing Mickey Mouse. I explained once again that Mickey needs to stay dry. If William thought he was going to get Mickey wet, then Mama would help him sit on the potty. I covered the entire downstairs floor with blankets and towels too. We had 3 accidents. Thing is, William wants to wear the underwear, but he didn't want anything to do with sitting on the potty. How do you potty train under these circumstances? Needless to say, we kept up the mission.



Around 12:45, William was playing with this airplanes under the kitchen table and like a broken record, I was asking him if he needed to potty. At one point, I didn't get a reply and I looked under the table to find William sound asleep. I quietly wrapped his body in a blanket because I was so afraid that he'd pee pee in his sleep.........but, 2 hours later his pants were dry! I was super proud!




By 4pm, I decided that we'd been indoors long enough and so we suited up for a trip to the pool. It was a great break from working on the potty training and it gave William a positive distraction. We got home around 6pm. He wanted to put his underwear back on and so I let him. After one accident, he asked for his diaper. I told him I was so proud of him for trying and working so hard. I also said that when Dada gets home, we'll tell him all about it. Just then, William's eyes got huge and he said, "Mama, Dada gets home William sits on the potty and then gets a new 747 baby jumbo jet at the store." I said, "yes, that's right. when you go to the potty, you can get a new airplane. But, you have to sit on the potty and not have accidents on the floor."




Dada got home around 6:45 and at 7:45pm, William was sitting on the potty with his diaper on. All it took was a little coaching from his Dada to get comfy on the potty! I was amazed, but then again, Dada can get William to do many things that I cannot. I cheered him on and told him that we could put stickers all over the walls of the bathroom, but William had to sit on the potty without wearing his diaper. It took a few minutes, but he gave in. I jumped at the chance once I saw him sitting on the potty, naked! We got out the Thomas stickers and the construction crew stickers and spent the next 30 minutes covering the wall with stickers. We made up stories about the trains and sang all the songs we knew.


Seconds before we raced out the door to buy the new airplane. William is clapping and shouting "YEAH WILLIAM!" His hard work is in the potty!


Then at 8:32 pm it happened. William gasped and shouted, "Mama, pee pee!" I quickly helped him get things under control and then William shouted, "Pee Pee get out of there!!!" I about busted out laughing. Once the experience "clicked" with him, he was beaming and saying SO FAST, "Mama, William pee pee on the potty! Dada!!!! Let's go get a new airplane!!! William did it!!!" He even picked up the potty and walked it over to Dada and said, "Dada, you want to see my potty pee pee?" Hilarious.



I knew that Toys R Us would close around 9pm and we only had 15 minutes to get there. William was running around so excited to get out the door and Dan and I were racing around to find the keys and our shoes! We jumped in the car and sped over to Toys R Us. The entire drive over there, I told William that it was night time and Toys R Us might not be open and don't worry, we'll be back in the morning if that is the case. William kept saying back to me, "Mama, you think Toys Us is open? You think they'll be open when we get there? You think Toys Us is open? I see an airplane in the sky Mama. You see it? I see the blinking light on the nose cone. I think it's landing. You think Toys Us is open? Dada driving really fast! YEAHHHH! WILLIAM!!!! I pee peed in the potty Mama! Get a new 747 baby jumbo jet!" He was bound and determined to get his airplane. We got in the doors with 5 minutes to spare.



William proudly brought home a Matchbox Sky Cargo airplane.


As we were walking up the stairs to the house, he looked up at me and said, "Mama, I need to say bye bye to my diaper and send it down the dark chute (pipe) like a cement mixer slide."



Never been more proud of pee in my life. Who knows what tomorrow holds.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates