Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend in Narlens




Over Memorial Weekend I headed to New Orleans to visit my sister Rachel. She and her husband moved there right after their wedding so that John Trey could start his medical residency program at Ochsner hospital. They have been there for 2 years and I have wanted to visit since the day they arrived. So, I finally got my chance.....better late than never.



Dan kept William for 3 days while I was gone (that adventure is the next post), and my parents decided to come along for the trip to see Rachie. I was jumping out of my skin to see her, their house, her job and her life in the Big Easy.




I got there on Friday afternoon and headed straight to her house. It's darling! Rachel's neighborhood is just so cute. 5208 Senac Drive has never hosted a more happy couple. Rachel's house is busting at the seams with personality. If her job as an ultrasound tech ever tanks, she has a career in decorating. It was so fun to look at all her pictures and wedding mementos that were on display and to see how clean and pristine her house is.....Sure makes a gal with 1200 sq. feet, a train table, 200 race cars and a bike trailer in her kitchen feel jealous of such glorious clutter free living!!!! ha!



After the "ooos" and the "ahhhhs" we spent the rest of the trip eating ourselves silly and touring some of New Orleans most popular spots. Here we are on location with the very reason that Rachel ended up in Narlens - the fabulous Ochsner hospital. John Trey is receiving the best education with their residency program and the word on the street is that he's the cutest doctor there!



We also were lucky enough to visit with some dear friends, Frank and Ginny. Frank and Dan were roommates in D.C. during their bachelor days (many a story on those two!) and Ginny and I married these two clowns. They are two of our best buddies from Washington and Ginny and I worked at the White House at the same time. A few years ago, they relocated to Ginny's home town of New Orleans. As luck would have it, Ginny became a realtor and sold Rachel and John Trey their house! Funny how things come full circle and you realize it was all meant to be!




Frank and Ginny had us over to their town,
Mandeville. We got the grand tour (such a darling town on the water!) and pined away as we passed by some beautiful old New Orleans houses with great big porches and swings. Frank cooked his famous craw fish dish and gave us a crash course in Mardi Gras. We even got to see the wall of beads in their garage. I have never seen a more organized display of necklaces in my life. I think it would put any jewelry box to shame! Unfortunately, I never took a picture of Frank and Ginny.....sorry guys!


On Monday, it was time to say bye-bye to
Rachie. I had the best time just hanging out with my family, and seeing her life in New Orleans. It's hard to believe that 2 years are behind them already. Before we know it, Rachel and John Trey will be packing up for another adventure somewhere. The unknown is always scary, but I admire Rachie and John Trey for embracing the adventure with joyful hearts. You bloom where you are planted, and their soil is rich in memories.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates