Thursday, June 14, 2012

Adeline goes to Summer Camp



This little lady is 15 months old and this week was her first time to attend summer camp.  Adeline is attending the Kirk of the Hills Mother's Day Out in the fall, but I enrolled her in their summer camp program for 8 weeks on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-2:30pm. 

Tuesday was her first day.  As I explained in my last post, Adeline isn't a fan of being left behind.  I know this is totally normal and after she gets use to the routine, I am sure she is going to love Mother's Day Out.  Summer camp is a great way for her to ease into the transition for the fall. 

She wears her swimsuit to school each week so the kids can have water play in the morning.  I pack a change of clothes, lots of diapers, sippy cup, lunch, her blanket and her pacifier.  Here she is right before getting in the car.  She had just finished brushing her hair which is why the red hair comb is in the photo. 



My constant motto for my kids when they are in new situations is "keep it positive" and that means even packing cookies for lunch if I need too.  So I put several of Adeline's favorite things in her lunch box - ham, cheese slices, half a Nutrigrain bar, a squeezable fruit and some graham crackers.  And thankfully, she did eat her entire lunch.  

William and I took her in to the church and just as we turned the corner to her hallway, Adeline clung to me in panic and softly repeated "Mama Mama Mama" with a pathetic lip quiver.  I hugged her tight and reassured her that I would be back to pick her up and I gave her tons of tight hugs.  Yes, it's always harder on the Mama than it is for the little one.....sigh.  I kept it positive and when she asked me for her paci, I gave in and gave it to her. 

  Luckily, I had William there as our cheerleader and he loved on Adeline too.  She knew from VBS that we were leaving her behind.  I quickly handed her over the door to her sweet teacher and gave them her bag.  I mentioned that I packed a note listing some things about Adeline for their own review.  Nothing lengthy, just that she still likes a morning nap, needs help with her squeezable fruit packs, loves bubbles, stroller rides and books and needs her pacifier for her nap.  The teachers thanked me for the helpful note and if anything, it gave me peace of mind that Adeline could get through the day.

 I know.  I know.  SO HARD to let go!

William and I took a deep breath and headed out the door.  As we walked to the car, William gave me a hug and said, "Mom, I hope Adeline has fun.  Do you think she will cry a long time?  I hate to see her so sad like that when school is so much fun."  Bless his heart.  My sweet, sweet boy.

And off we went to enjoy our first Mom Mom and William day in a long, long time.  We had fun and hit the spray park with some friends before coming home to a round of video games and a few story books.  William would stop a few times during the day and ask me what Adeline was doing or how much longer until we got to pick her up.

At 2:30, the two of us busted into the church so eager to see our girl.  There she was standing at the door sobbing and holding her hands out to us.  She was crying because she was so thrilled to see us.  I was relived to hear the teachers say that although she had a very hard day, she did find moments to enjoy.  She loved the stroller ride, her lunch, a few of the toys and she took a small nap.  She survived and I am hopeful that the next 7 weeks will ease her transition into the fall.

Note - Thursday she did much better.  She cried quite a bit, but took a hour long nap and loved going outside.  She cried when she saw me just like she did yesterday.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates