Monday, November 3, 2014

William's Revolutionary War State Fair Project - 2nd grade

William's 2nd grade class took a field trip to the Tulsa State Fair.  After their visit, the teachers assigned a State Fair project of their own.  Each 2nd grader had to enter an exhibit in the 2nd Grade Holland Hall State Fair.  Kids could build something, bake something, paint something, whatever they could dream up...sky was the limit!  Each project had to fit on their desk and then on the day of the fair, the lower grades came to tour the 2nd grade fair and ask the kids questions about their projects.

The paperwork detailing the fair project came home at the end of September.  William flew in the door waving a bright orange paper in my face.  "MOM!  This is so awesome and really important.  I know what I want to do!  I know exactly.  We are having a state fair and I am making a Patriotic Skirmish and scene from the Revolutionary War.  I need that log cabin we got in Dodge City over the summer and I am going to build it and paint it and make a landscape."  He was talking a million miles an hour and I was trying to follow along in the excitement even though I had no idea what he was talking about!

Once I read the paperwork and located the log cabin (THANK YOU LORD I didn't throw it away), William was ready to go.  The project was due at the end of October and that gave the kids a full month to work on it.  William started the next day and he and Dada worked every single night for 2 weeks.  William loved every second of his project and needless to say, he was SO PROUD of the finished scene.

I got to attend the fair too.  William was proudly sitting behind his project when I arrived and he was beaming ear to ear.  I walked around and looked at everything the kids made and I am not bragging when I say that William's  project and a couple others were by far the most detailed and well thought out.  There were about 3 kids who made REALLY impressive things - William's scene, Caroline's Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii and Leah's working ferris wheel out of popsicle sticks and tin cans.  You could tell these three worked the hardest and longest on their projects.  Several kids threw things together last minute - Lego projects, paintings, baked goods, and a display of shoestrings!  lol. 

Everyone won a blue ribbon for first place.  William almost cried on the way home because he couldn't stop telling me how this day was the most fantastic and fun day of his entire life at Holland Hall.  I am so glad to see him enjoying learning!



0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates