Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Waiting on the Tooth Fairy

William has been waiting for the Tooth Fairy since the beginning of Kindergarten.  Several of his classmates have lost their first tooth and oh my, what a big deal!!! 

The front left baby tooth on the bottom row of William's mouth has been loose forever.  I mean, FOREVER.  In fact, the adult tooth that is suppose to take it's place, came in right behind the baby tooth.  As you can imagine, William's mouth looked kinda funny but only when you asked him to open wide and show you the adult tooth.


Nevertheless, he's worked hard at wiggling that baby tooth and wishing that it would just fall out so HE could join the toothless club (all in good fun) at school.  Monday night during dinner, William told me his tooth was REALLY REALLY close to coming out.  I thought for sure he'd freak out at the thought of pulling out his tooth, seeing blood and tasting the small space where his tooth once lived......so, I have been bracing myself for weeks.  I was mentally prepared to calm him down and get through it........

and then the kiddo casually came up to be and said, "Mom, look I got it!"  He was beaming.  No blood.  No tears.  Just a proud, proud William Barron with one less pearly white in his big ol' smile. 

For a second, I thought he was kidding because it just happened to be April Fools Day.

Then I was the one who freaked.  I jumped up and down, clapped my hands, smiled, laughed, high fived, jumped some more, hugged him, and probably looked ridiculous.  But, I didn't care.  I was SO thrilled for him. 

Before I could even come down from my last jump, William was in his room searching for a bag to put his tooth in for the Tooth Fairy.

William:  "Mom, we have to find a bag now.  I have to put my tooth in a bag under my pillow so the Tooth Fairy will come tonight."
Me:  "No problem.  How about this one?  It's small enough for a tooth but big enough for money."
William:  "Ok.  Mom, do you think the Tooth Fairy comes to see every kid who looses a tooth like Santa does?"
Me:  "I think she probably only comes to the kids who brush their teeth every night."
William: "Ok then.  I am going to brush my teeth now."  "Mom, everyone says the Tooth Fairy comes the first time with a lot of money or a prize because your first tooth is worth the most."
Me:  "Oh wow.  That sounds really exciting.  Like how much did your friends say the Fairy brings?"
William:  "Like 5 dollars."

After we got the tooth settled under the pillow, William and I decided to trick Dada.  Since it was April Fools Day, we came up with a conversation that would surprise Dada and let William reveal his lost tooth in a fun way.  William was SO thrilled with his idea.  He was onboard and rehearsed the conversation while he took a bath.

Me:  "Oh William, it sure would have been cool if you had lost your tooth on April Fools Day."
William:  (hanging his head in disappointment) "I know it.  Me too.  I am so disappointed."
(then quickly raising up his head and giving a smile) "APRIL FOOLS!  I LOST MY TOOTH!"

When Dada got home, we started our conversation.  Dada interjected with "It's ok Buddy.  The tooth will come out when it's ready."  And after that, William busted out with the APRIL FOOLS! 

Dada was tricked and we all got a kick out of it.  That night, the Tooth Fairy came to William's room.  William was sound asleep clutching his bag in his hands but she was able to leave William $6 and a tooth-rific note congratulating him on being 6 years old when he lost his first tooth.

I woke William up the next morning and he immediately looked inside his bag.  He was delighted to see a note and the $6.  I told him he was rich, but he said, "Mom, I can't be rich.  I am only a kid."

He was excited to get to school because when you loose a tooth, you take it for show and tell.  When I picked him up, he was carrying the Tooth Fairy journal.  Boy, he was thrilled and super proud.  William didn't even take his coat off when we got home.  He was too excited to work on his entry in the Tooth Fairy journal.  The journal question is, "What does the Tooth Fairy do with your tooth?" 


William immediately decided that she makes toy trucks and bouncy balls.  He drew a detailed conveyor belt and different machines that turn the tooth into the toys. 

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates