Monday, August 4, 2014

Adeline's first visit to the dentist

Today was Adeline's first official visit to the dentist.  She is very familiar with the dentist office because she's always been with me when I take William to his appointments.  Adeline is always eager to come with me because she loves to play on the big pirate ship in the lobby.   There are always lots of kids to play with while we wait for William to finish his appointment, and Adeline never wants to miss out!


I explained that today was different because when William's turn was over, Adeline would get a turn sitting in the dentist chair.  Adeline didn't miss a beat and said, "No thanks Mama.  I am going to stay on the pirate ship the whole time."  I calmly told her that was a great idea and assured her that she would have plenty of play time in the lobby.  BUT, she would also get a turn brushing her teeth.  "NO THANKS MAMA!"  And so, that was about it.

William really talked up the dentist while we were in the car.  He told Adeline all about the movies you watch on the ceiling, the prize treasure chest, the flavored toothpaste, and the spit sink.  He was GREAT at making the dentist sound like a trip to Disney World.  Adeline thought the whole story sounded fabulous and she told William she'd be happy to pick out a prize for herself.  HA!  We kept telling her that the only kids who get a prize are the ones who have a turn in the chair.  "NO THANKS MAMA!"

I decided to take Adeline back to the dentist chair when it was William's turn just so she could see the room and get familiar with the hygienist, Ms. Casey.  I told Adeline, "Ms. Casey is our friend.  She is going to teach us all about our teeth."  Adeline was totally skeptical and kept her distance from Ms. Casey.  Ms. Casey could not have been nicer, but Adeline's lips began to quiver and she held my hand tighter and tighter.  We watched William for awhile and then Adeline whispered in my ear. "Mom, I want to go play on the pirate ship now."  I could hear her voice cracking and I felt for her.  So we left and went back into the lobby to play until William was finished. 

After awhile, Ms. Casey came out to get Adeline.  She was so nervous.  She didn't want to lay down in the chair AT ALL.  But, once I pinned her down, she calmed down and started watching the movie on the ceiling.  Ms. Casey offered her some sunglasses but Adeline said, "No thanks.  Can I give them to my sister, Anna baby?" 

Then it was time for Adeline to open her mouth and NO WAY.  She started crying and wouldn't stop.  William told her all about the pink toothpaste while Ms. Casey tickled her finger with the electric toothbrush.  Adeline wasn't completely calm, but she held it together enough for Ms. Casey to brush her teeth.  I left the room because I always think it's easier when parents are not front and center.  William left as well and we both sat in the lobby for what felt like forever.  But 8 minutes later, Ms. Casey called us back.

I could tell Adeline was done.  She had been crying and was a nervous wrek that I left her.  I felt bad but got over it quick because I knew Adeline needed to learn that the dentist is a fact of life.  I told Ms. Casey that we could stop now and just see the dentist to wrap up the visit.  I wanted to keep the whole situation positive.

The dentist came out and congratulated Adeline on a fine first visit.  That put a smile on her face!  She got to pick out a treasure from the chest - 2 sparkle rings and a wand.  SUCCESS!

And even more exciting - WILLIAM LOST ANOTHER TOOTH during the visit!  He was thrilled!

Now we just need to start working on Adeline for her next visit in February.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates