Saturday, March 30, 2013

HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY SWEET ADELINE!

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 my sweet little Adeline woke up to a birthday banner and 2 balloons.  As is tradition, I ran into her room to snap a picture of her as she awoke to our family singing "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" in loud voices.  William was SO excited it was Adeline's birthday and he took great pride in making her the Minnie Mouse birthday banner that we taped to her crib.


Oh Adeline knew exactly what the day was about....HER.  She was all about her birthday.  I wasn't sure she'd really understand the whole concept of a birthday.  However, she could grasp the highlights - balloons, singing, extra hugs, loads of kisses, and most anything she wished for that day.  Throughout the day, she would stop what she was doing and say, "Mama, Adeline birthday today? HURRAY! I love it!"

 
 Since Adeline's birthday falls during spring break, I asked William what he wanted to do to celebrate Adeline on her special day.  Without hesitation, William told me, "Let's go get donuts for breakfast and then paint again like we did last year."  Great idea Bud!  So that is exactly what we did.  I got a babysitter for Anna and the three of us threw on some clothes and headed for the donut shop.  Adeline chose a sprinkle donut and just before we left, the nice owner brought her a small bag of free donut holes.  I think William was more excited about the donut holes than Adeline as he grabbed the bag and said, "thank you sir!  my sister is going to love these for her birthday."


Then we headed for Purple Glaze, a local paint your own pottery studio.  William remembered painting a tile with a butterfly on it for Adeline's first birthday.  He was eager to make her something else this year too.  But then while browsing the pottery selection, William locked eyes with R2D2 from Star Wars.  He was SO thrilled to see a Star Wars option to paint, but I could tell he knew he was there to make Adeline a special gift.  After staring for a few seconds, he looked up at me and said, "Mom, I know this is probably not a good decision, but I want to make R2D2 instead of a picture for Adeline.  Can I please? It won't hurt her feelings I know it."  How can I turn that down!  Of course!  So William snatched up R2D2 and I picked out a tray for Adeline. 

I had mentioned to Katie that we were going to paint pottery on Adeline and Ford's bday and to join us if they were looking for something to do. Sure enough, they showed up! We got a big table for all the kids and we watched them create!  Of course, Adeline found the suckers at the counter and so she painted and ate a sucker at the same time....such a multitasker. 

We had a really fun morning with our friends and headed home around noon.  Adeline was moving a million miles a hour and just would NOT settle down for a nap.  She called out to me crying and crying during naptime and I just didn't have heart to listen to her cry on her birthday.  So my girl went the distance!  She partied like a rockstar the rest of the day. 

Throughout the day I caught myself going back in my mind to the minute she was born.  I always say there are three days of my life that I would love to relive if God gave me the chance.  Those three days are the birth days of each of my children.  That day is wonderous. It's the absolute best miracle moment I have ever known.

Adeline's was different though.  She was high risk and for 6 months, my heart held on to several "unknowns" until the second she was born.  Every time I stop and think about it, I am thrown back into the moment of her arrival.  I can smell it, I can see it, I can hear it.  I want to relive her birth day over and over again just as I do William and Anna.   My heart aches just thinking about the day my sweet Adeline came into the world.  She was perfect and my prayers were answered.  As we drove to get donuts and then to paint pottery, I just kept going back to THAT MOMENT when I first met my daughter and held her in my arms.  And to see her now...2 years later.  I could never in a million years have predicted how perfectly fantastic she'd turn out to be.  Like a fly on the wall, I loved watching the joy of her simple celebration with William, the donut as big as her brown eyes and that sticky pink sucker she clutched in her hands while she painted.  The day was special.  The years are magic. 

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates