Monday, August 19, 2013

"Momma, you are my best friend"




There are those tiny little moments that you least expect.  The ones that surprise you and sweep you off your feet.  The moments that make you stop and relish BEING IN THE MOMENT.  Those snapshot memories that you cannot replace.  You cannot get them back.  Yet in that tiniest of a moment, you wish with every ounce of your being that YOU JUST DON'T FORGET THAT VERY MOMENT.  EVER.

I had one of those the other day.  I mean, I have had moments like I described above several times during my life.  But this one in particular just made my heart sing and filled my body with complete joy. 

The other day I was busy cleaning up the kitchen.  I was down on my knees wiping up a day's worth of crumbs from under the table.  I hadn't showered in 24 hours, my "to do" list clouded my mind, my shirt was covered in wet Graham cracker and I had just rewashed the dishes in the dishwasher just so I didn't have to empty it.......

And then I heard a tiny little voice behind me.

"Momma, hold you? plllleeease"

I turned around and my Adeline was standing there just looking at me.  She was holding her dolly and her pahee. 

I was so preoccupiedd and worn out.  But I heard that little voice and I don't ignore it.

"Of course I will hold you Adeline," I said.  And I scooped her up on my hip like I always do.

Without a second of hesitation, Adeline wrapped her hands around my neck as tight as she could.  And then she buried her pigtails in my neck and leaned towards my ear.

"You are my best friend Momma."  And then she laid her head on my shoulder.

THAT MOMENT.  It's one in a million.

In THAT MOMENT my day stood still and my fog lifted. 

I won't ever forget it.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates