Thursday, August 29, 2013

My heart goes to Mother's Day Out

This year both my girls go to Mother's Day Out.  It is Adeline's second year of "school" and Anna's first year.  Even though Anna is not quite one year old, I knew I wanted to send her to MDO.  Even though she's so small and such a baby, I was confident in my decision for several reasons.  First, we go to church at the MDO location.  Second, her MDO room is the same room as her Sunday school room and summer camp room (teacher too).  And third, I was totally sold on the idea when I learned I could match up the days my girls both attend.  In turn, I would get 8 hours of solitude a week.  It's a win-win situation for all the Barron girls.



And so on Wednesday, August 27th, I packed up my little ladies for their first day of school.  Adeline was incredibly anxious and thrilled about going to school.  She asked me day after day, "Adeline go to school today?  I want to go pllllllleeeeeeeeeassseeee!"  The girl loves it.  She is well taken care of, she is loved by her teachers and she comes home singing and talking about all the new things she is learning.  This year, Adeline goes 3 days a week from 9-2:30.  She takes her lunch and a napmat. 

My Anna baby was also ready to try Mother's Day Out even if she had no idea what was going on.  She attends 2 days a week.  For all the reasons I listed above, I was not at all weepy or concerned about Anna's first day.  I knew she would have fun walking around and playing with all the toys in the church nursery.  I knew she would like watching other kids and engage in the energy of music, stroller rides and a new routine. 





The morning of school, Adeline woke up energized and ready to go!  She got dressed in record time and took great pride in looking at herself in the mirror all dressed up.  I even heard her say, "oh, I look adorable!  I have my bows, they look nice."  I mean, where does she get this stuff?  I cracked up under my breath and watched her study her reflection.  She even told me she needed her tennis shoes so she could run fast.  And, she made sure to check her bag about 10 times to make sure "school pahee was in there for naptime!"  Adeline had so much loot to take on the first day that she looked like she was moving into a hotel!

Anna Baby had one simple little bag full of her school supplies and lunch.  I took one of Adeline's baby dresses and had a friend applique an apple on it for Anna Baby's first day of school.  I wanted her to have something special of her own and as always, I do love a good theme.  I LOVE "firsts" of anything.  To me they are a treasured memory of my kids' childhood, so even the first day of mother's day out deserves a cute outfit and celebration. 

When we got to school, Adeline was about to jump out of her skin.  She was SO delighted to be there!  First we dropped off Anna.  She was skeptical of the whole situation, but I quickly handed her over to the teacher and placed her bag in her cubby.  Since the teacher knows her from church, I didn't have a lot of explaining to do.
 
First day 2013 (2.5 years old)



First Day 2012 (17 months old)
 

Then it was Adeline's turn.  She waved to her old teachers in the two year old room and they were happy to see her.   She marched down the hallway like she owned the place, and she found her cubby. We put all her stuff away and then she realized she was about to enter a new room with a new teacher.  Her smile faded and she hugged my neck.  She whispered in my ear, "Mama, hold you. hold you, Mama."  So I scooped up my sweet baby girl and gave her a big hug.  I reminded her how much fun school is and how Mama and Adeline are very brave.  I told her I would be right back and together we walked into the classroom.  She beamed from ear to ear when she saw the bubble machine going and a doll stroller set up in the pretend area.  She was back to her fired up, school lovin' self.  Ms. Linda is her teacher and Adeline said hello without any hesitation.  Ms. Linda has a Masters degree in early childhood education.  She talks as slow as molasses and with a gentle whisper.   Adeline liked her right off.

And that was it.  The drop off lasted a couple minutes and I was out the door in no time.  The sweet taste of freedom for this mama.  I will admit that my mind was spinning on overload just thinking about all the things on my wish list - facials, haircuts, silence, a walk without a stroller, time in my house alone, maybe some needlepoint and a mindless magazine......who knows.  8 hours a week are mine for the making!  I will miss my girls during the day, but I need the downtime and I am thankful that I can leave them in a wonderful environment with people who care about them.

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates